Paris is a thoughtful map offering many options. To win, you need to strike the right balance between collecting sets of tokens, connecting secret destinations, blocking other players while not being blocked yourself and, of course, carrying the Passenger. The refined elder sister of the London map, recommended for experienced players.
New York is a fast paced map reflecting the hectic pace of life in the big Apple. It encourages players to mirror real life by creating lines through Manhattan, but you have to build quickly to keep up with the always-moving Passenger. The brash younger brother of the London map – focused and fun.
In On the Underground, the players build the Métro lines in Paris or the Subway lines in New York City. Each player controls 2-4 different lines, depending on the number of players.
On each turn, four destination cards are available, corresponding to stations on the map. You can take up to four actions; an action is either building track by placing one of your track tokens on the board or taking a branch token. A player may use two branch tokens to branch out of an existing line (whereas normally lines can be extended only at the endpoints).
After each player’s turn, a passenger token is moved along players’ lines, avoiding walking as much as possible, to reach one or two destinations determined at the beginning of the turn. The destination cards corresponding to the visited stations are then replaced by new ones, then the next player takes their turn.
Players score points in two ways:
- By building track and connecting their lines to various types of stations, by collecting Landmark tiles (in Paris), by connecting certain areas (in New York) or at the end of the game if they have achieved their Secret Objectives (in Paris).
- By having the passenger use their lines when moving.
After all destination cards have been drawn and all players have taken the same number of turns, the game ends.
How to Play On the Underground London / Berlin by Gaming Rules!
- Route/network building
- Action point allowance
- Action / movement programming
- Point to point movement
- 1 double-sided board
- 37 Paris Destination cards
- 11 Paris Secret Objective cards
- 54 New York Destination cards
- 1 Passenger token
- 4 Destination tokens
- 190 Track tokens (20 each of red, yellow, blue, purple, and black and 15 each of pink, orange, green, brown, white, and grey)
- 40 Paris Landmark tiles (8 each of 5 types – Education, Culture, Sports, Retail, Government)
- 1 Start Player tile
- 10 Score tiles
- 20 Branch tiles
On the Underground: Paris / New York is also available in a deluxe edition, which contains 5 custom-shaped wooden Passenger tokens and 8 custom-shaped and screen-printed wooden Destination tokens.